Saturday, August 15, 2009

We're going to be so rich!

In case you've been wondering what Marc's been up to while Mike is working on the truck ... Here's a little project I did a couple weekends ago. New drawer boxes and runners on the built-in unit in the hallway!

First, I removed the existing runner-less drawer boxes and installed new high-tech Austrian gliders in the wall unit (only the best materials, you know me).



I had ordered new, pre-assembled drawer boxes on-line. Special locking devices that fit with the gliders go underneath the boxes. (Note how they have a cedar plywood base, nice for storing linens.)



Then, I installed the new drawer boxes in the wall unit.





Finally, I tore apart the original boxes and re-installed the front panels onto the new boxes.





Voila! No more squeaky, creaky, askew drawers. They now glide in and out quietly with a nifty soft-close motion. (Cue oohs and aahs from audience.) Now I know how Nadine from the television show Twin Peaks felt. [Marc]

2 comments:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Between installing water heaters and a whole new drawer system in a built in closet to look like original woodwork, and an MD and a PHd... is there anything you can't do. I continue to be in awe. If I complete only one iota of what you have in the last decade, I will have a full and accomplished life. You amaze. So many diverse talents...

Marc and Mike said...

Well - I have to give Marc 100% credit for the drawer update - I have had nothing to do with it, as I am now a part-time mechanic. I think that I like the learning curve associated with "new" projects. I did so much on the first house that I'm less ambitious with this house. Marc has been doing more projects in the house - but the furnace and pellet stove and drain cleaning are still my territory. Mike