Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tomatoes

And here's another summer project ... tomatoes! Back in early June I put out a few tomato plants in the planter on the southwest corner of the house. Because of the Seattle climate, you really can't put them out very early, and you need to keep them protected from chilly weather even then. (I learned this from a tomato growing class at the local garden club.) I put out a couple heirloom beefsteak varieties, a red grape tomato variety, and tried an 'ivory' colored variety just for fun.





I designed my cover/trellis to expand up once the plants got bigger. (Yes, that's sun tea on the corner.)





Now the plants are almost as tall as the trellis!







Lots of fruit, but nothing has ripened yet. Hopefully we'll see some delicious results before the end of the growing season. Will let you know how it goes. [Marc]

No comments: