Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My frist tow


Well, the truck drove home (30 miles from Monroe, WA), but it has not really been touched in years, so there are many things that I want to do to make it a reliable weekend driver.

Here's what I did so far:
1) Rebuilt brake system - hired out
Rest I did myself
2) New battery - Optima 6V
3) Replace upper radiator hose and clamps, flush radiator
4) Change engine oil
5) Change transmission gear oil
6) Change fan belt (as pictured above)
7) Change spark plugs

The weekend before last I went down to the tire shop to talk to the sales person about new tires (promised a call back, but no return phone call). 'Tis OK, because my neighbor and I are going to break and mount the tires in the yard! Anyway, I totally stalled out and kept stalling and stalling and stalling - especially when under load, going uphill. Needless to say, I had the truck towed home. Thanks AAA - it was quick and didn't cost me a dime. Now the trouble shooting begins - fuel vs fire? I think that the timing is too retarded, so that will be a first step. Then it's a review of the fuel system - clogs are VERY common in these old trucks as crud from the gas tank floats around. I will stick to cosmetics for a little while as an ego booster...

No comments: