Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hangry

I still listen to one of my favorite San Diego public radio shows, "A Way With Words" on my iPod during my bus commute. (The show is also syndicated at a few affiliates around the country, but it's not on Seattle public radio as yet.) It's fun to listen to fellow obnoxious lexophiles discuss language and word usage (you might want to check out their podcast for yourself if you have time). Anyway, one of their summer podcasts featured a discussion of a neologism that definitely relates to me: HANGRY. A mash-up of "hungry" and "angry," it describes that irritable condition one gets due to hunger. Mike can attest that I am often in such a hypoglycemic huff. At least now I have a word to describe my mood, and a la Eve Ensler, I can shout: "My stomach is HANGRY!" [Marc]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marc,

You may have heard that "A Way with Words" was cancelled by KPBS, as was "Full Focus." Apparently people don't like to think in San Diego.